BWJS Latest News

Latest news and postings from Bishop's Waltham Junior School.

January 10, 2021

Sunday 10th January 2021 – Headteacher Update (w/c Monday 11th Jan)

Filed under: Whole School @ 2:21 pm

Good morning all, I hope you have managed to have an enjoyable and relaxing weekend given these difficult circumstances we find ourselves in.

I just wanted to share with you some updates – which I will try and keep brief. (Video explaining content can be views using link below)

https://youtu.be/PM_fWnAFJo8

1) Numbers of pupils on site:

We currently have approx 35% of pupils in school as part of the key worker/vulnerable place category. Compared to the last lockdown, the criteria for eligibility has increased considerably. This is the latest guidance that we have received as we look to minimise the amount of pupils on site.

‘The guidance from the Department for Education has been updated in the last 48 hours reiterating that whilst children with at least one parent or carer who is a critical worker can go to school if required, parents and carers who are critical workers should keep their children at home if they can.’

At present, we have been able to accommodate all requests but I need to be mindful of the health and safety of my staff and their families. If it gets to a stage where I deem numbers to be too high, I will need to adopt a set criterion in order to reduce numbers. For example – families with two critical workers etc)

2) Home Learning

Pupils accessing work from home will be following the same lessons/activities as those being taught in school. You will receive a communication from your child’s classteacher – along with a suggested daily timetable – at 8am tomorrow morning.

Teachers/TAs will aim to respond to work/questions ASAP but please bear in mind they are supporting pupils both in school and those at home.

There is NO expectation for all families to complete the daily 4 hours of set work. This figure has been imposed on us by the DfE. You complete what you are able based on your individual family circumstances. Please do try and upload work to google classroom as this way teaching staff can provide feedback. You know your children best – do what is right for YOU.

As the week progresses and staff/pupils get used to this new approach to learning, we will review our procedures and make any updates/changes/improvements that we deem necessary – and manageable.

3) Children attending school

With the increasing numbers of pupils attending school, bubbles will NO LONGER be able to play together at break/lunchtime. Whilst I understand this will cause some upset and disappointment for some – having considered the level of increased risk of transmission – it is a decision I have had to make.

If there was to be a positive covid case, closing one bubble as opposed to the whole year group, would cause far less impact on parents.

Please explain this to your children today so they are aware of this when they return to school tomorrow.

Finally:

Thank you all so much for your support during this difficult time. I feel very blessed to have such amazing staff, pupils, governors and parents. We will get through this and be stronger for it!

As always, please get in touch if I can support you with anything.

Kind regards,

Darren Campbell

Headteacher

No Comments »

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI