BWJS Latest News

Latest news and postings from Bishop's Waltham Junior School.

May 18, 2020

Monday 18th May 2020 – Art@Home Challenge

Filed under: Art,Art Gallery,Whole School @ 12:30 pm

Hey hey it’s Monday again! Hope you’ve had a good morning. Fancy an art challenge this afternoon? Today’s challenge relates to another Great Artist: Spanish surrealist Joan Miro (1893-1983).

I love the surrealist art movement because it is fun and really sparks your imagination. There are really no boundaries when it comes to surrealist art. But what is surrealism? Watch this introductory video from the Tate Kids website to find out more. As you can see, Miro falls under the category of surrealism called ‘automatism’: art made without thinking. In other words, doodling! All of you can surely give this challenge a go?

Here are some images of Miro’s work:

Which is your favourite, and why? Perhaps you could let me know via email or in the comments section of the blog.

This PowerPoint, produced by a teacher especially for children, gives some interesting information about Joan Miro, and at the end there is a fun ‘roll the dice’ activity that you could use as a starting point for your own piece of art:

Fun fact for you: we named our cat Miro after this artist! We might have a go at drawing him this week in the style of his namesake. This is the artist Miro’s cat painting and our Miro-cat:

Happy Cat, Joan Miro, 1975

Will you draw something with a theme or funny character, or just shapes and colour?

I can’t wait to see what you produce! Email me your pictures to: mrs.milne@bwjsapps.co.uk

Happy creating!
Mrs Milne

No Comments »

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI