BWJS Latest News

Latest news and postings from Bishop's Waltham Junior School.

March 30, 2020

Monday 30th March 2020 – Art@Home Challenge

Filed under: Art,Whole School @ 8:37 am

Morning everyone! Just hopping on here to let you know that every Monday while we are away from school I will be posting an Art@Home challenge here on our school blog. These activities are of course optional, but I hope that lots of you will want/be able to take part! I would love to see your creations, so please do send any pictures through via email (mrs.milne@bwjsapps.co.uk) and I will be posting a gallery of these on the blog every Friday for all to see.

I’m sure many of you will have already got arty at home during the past week. If so, send me pictures of what you’ve been up to and I’ll share these on the blog on Wednesday. By sharing your artwork/makes, you will no doubt inspire others and help to fight boredom across Bishop’s Waltham!

As mentioned in your class emails this morning, my first challenge is to:

MAKE A JUNK MODEL CREATURE

This project is inspired by an amazingly talented American sculptor called Leo Sewell who grew up near a dump and got creative with the scraps he found there. Here are a couple of examples of his work:

You can use whatever junk you have to hand for this project, and it can be created on any scale, from small (perhaps using OXO cube boxes, matchboxes or boxes from medicines) to large-scale (just check with your folks first!!).

In the slideshow below are some photos from last year of my own children making example Iron Men to use for teaching Year 3. They show how to:
– Plan your model by selecting and laying out the junk items;
– Cover your boxes in in foil using a wrapping or collage technique (painting is another option – we certainly don’t have tin foil in the house right now! Or just leave your boxes uncovered, it really doesn’t matter);
– Attach tubes using the fringing technique;
– Make moveable parts (e.g. head/limbs) using split pins if you have them (you would need adult help with this. I would love to hear if you find an alternative technique for achieving movement, but non-moveable models are just as cool).
There are also a few photos of models produced by last year’s Year 3. Feel free to embellish your models with extra 3D elements for added interest, as per the last photo from the Haberdashers’ Aske’s Boys’ school.

What creature will you make? A tiger perhaps, or a giraffe? Or maybe some kind of insect! We can’t wait to see your ideas. Year 3s, it would be great if you could make an Iron Man, since this is what we would be currently doing in school for Art, but if you’d rather create something else, no problem!

Sorry this turned into such a long blog post (but great reading practise, right?!). I will try to make future posts more succinct.

Have fun!
Mrs Milne

PS. (One last thing!) I will be posting Art@Home challenges both Mondays in the Easter Holidays too, so keep checking the blog.

No Comments »

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI