BWJS Latest News

Latest news and postings from Bishop's Waltham Junior School.

February 5, 2013

Tuesday 5th February 2012 – Touch Typing Club

Filed under: ICT @ 11:03 am

Touching Typing Club, one of our schools newest clubs, has just started.  This club was heavily subscribed to (64 children ticked it on their club form) so it was decided to run the club over two days to save any disappointment.  I am delighted we made this decision because lunchtime on Thursday and Friday of last week our ICT suite was full of eager children wanting to learn how to touch type.  We are following the BBC Touch Typing Dance Mat programme and after the first lunchtime session, most of the children were confidently using all their fingers on the keyboard, slowly but surely.  It was the smiles on their faces that said it all! A few of the Thursday children reported back that they had used the programme at home that evening and were enjoying it so much.

We will be having a Touch Typing pupil of the week and this week it was awarded to Amy H.  Sadly she was off sick, but she will receive her certificate in assembly very soon.

Well done to all the children in Touch Typing Club, we are proud of you.

You can access the BBC Touch Typing Dance Mat programme here.

1 Comment »

1. Hi Mrs Mars,

My google alert for “touch typing” led me to your typing club blog. I applaud what you are doing, touch typing is such an important skill for children to learn.

I was wondering: when the children have learned what finger hits what key, what next? They need to put this new learning into practice asap and keep it up until touch typing becomes automatic. Will they get this constant and continual practice using their daily “real” computer work or do you have other ideas?

Cheers,
    Georgie
    Nail It Now
    http://www.nailitnow.com.au

Georgie Farmer — February 8, 2013 @ 2:14 am

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI