BWJS Latest News

Latest news and postings from Bishop's Waltham Junior School.

November 13, 2012

Tuesday 13th November 2012 – Year 3 trip to Butser Farm

Year 3 began their new topic ,’The Romans’, by visiting Butser Ancient Farm which is a settlement recreated as if it were in Celtic and Roman times.  We were very lucky with the weather, however, we were all glad we had brought our wellies as it was extremely muddy!

When we got to Butser Farm, we gathered in the Celtic Round House to find out some important information about the Celts and how they lived.  We were really impressed with the children’s knowledge already – clearly some had been researching this topic at home! The children asked some good questions too which the Centre staff were happy to answer.

The children then took part in their first activities before lunch – making a wattle fence using hazel wood (these fences appeared all over Celtic settlements and their main uses were for the walls of the Round Houses and to keep their animals in pens), making jewellery from strips of metal and visitng the gift shop. We then gathered back in the Round House to eat lunch, sitting on animal skins and tree trunks for chairs and keeping warm by the fire which was lit in the middle.

After lunch the children went on a Roman villa tour where they learnt about life as a Roman and how different the Celtic and Roman lifestyles were.  Next they made some mosaics using ceramin tiles and finally they became archaeologists and dug up ancient artefacts using the tools archaologists would use.

The children behaved really well and they were a real credit to the school.  We are now looking forward to using all that they have learnt back in the classroom …

Butser Farm 2012 slide show

2 Comments »

1. I remember when I went to Butser Farm and it was so much fun! I hope you didn’t have any dreadful weather like we did! I hope you guys had lots of fun.

Amy O'Loughnane — November 17, 2012 @ 11:45 am

2. I LIC THE PIKCHER BECAUSE IT HAD MY MUMMY IN IT.

archie — November 19, 2012 @ 3:17 pm

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI