BWJS Latest News

Latest news and postings from Bishop's Waltham Junior School.

March 26, 2012

Monday 26th March 2012 – Year Five SketchUp

Filed under: ICT,Year 5 @ 3:03 pm

As part of our work about adaptation and interdependence, Year Five have been designing animal shelters this term. For the first time, as well as building physical models of these shelters, we have also produced three dimensional computer models using a programme called Google SketchUp. Here are some examples of the work we have done.

In my snake enclosure, I made a bed and lots of other things. The snake enclosure is for a tree python.  We made a piece of wood that you put sand under.  It was qute good.
(Adam)

My enclosure is for a Black and White Ruffed Lemur!  It has a little pool and a bed box that nobody can see!  The trees are to wear down its claws!  I made it to look like it’s in the Madagascan rainforest so it can breed!
(Amy) 

My enclosure was for a rattlesnake.  It had some food, some rocks, two bowls of water,a pond and some sand.
(Bradley R)

It has a sand bed and a rope puller for a meerkat.  It has got a log for looking out for eagles and I put water for glass.
(Bradley W)

My animal enclosuer is good for a penguin.  It has a lot of room and water.
(Brandon)

My animal is a meerkat simply because meerkats are my favourite animal in the whole universe, and I also know so so much about them!  My very favourite part that I made is the walls around, they took me a whole lesson out of two.  It is a copy of the real zoo (Marwell).  Then I made a random cylinder shape with holes in it.  If I could do this fab topic again, I would do the walls in a circular shape.
(Briony) 

Here is a photo of my finished piece of work.  It contains plastic, rocks and cardboard.  It has a few stands so that my animal can jump into its bed which is probably very comfortable and cosy!  It contains no trees because I forgot to add some but the trees were going to be for climbing on and scratching.
(Caitlyn)

It has two trees but they are bamboo trees so they can eat the tree too.  The tree has a climbing rope through the middle so they can have lots of fun and play around.  There is also a big fence round the middle so they can’t get out because they are very good clinbers.
(Daisy)

This is my penguin enclosure. It has a place for you to see the penguins and take photos. It also has a pool for the penguins to swim in.
(Emily N)

I did a snow leopard enclosure.  It has rock so it can scratch its claws to make them sharper.  The sand on it is for the snow.  I can’t find any real snow, and the building is up high because at Marwell we saw the bed on the rocks.  I didn’t have enough rock so I just put it on wood and the bit of water is so the snow leopard can drink water.  Some of the wood is so they can play around with it.  The bed is purple fabric and a strip of white furry cotton that it can rest its head on.
(Emily S)

My enclosure was a snake’s enclosure and it had three inside bits.  There were more than one snake and they were all different shapes and sizes.  Inside one there is a top with an open space and at the bottom there is a swimming pool and a bed.  There is a tube where it goes to the one on the right which has a shady area with some mice to eat and some water to drink.  To the tube on the left there is just an open space with nothing in.
(Fergus)

Here is a picture of my Snow Leopard enclosure.  It wasn’t very good because I forgot to add the two long sides to it.  I liked the cave and the pond but I wish I had added more black paint to the base.
(Gemma)

My enclosure is a Red Panda and I worked withed Zoe Taylor.  We had trees and bamboo twigs with a bootleg shoe box which was painted blue.  Inside the bootleg box there was some straw, hay and grass.  For our outside enclosure part we painted the cardboard green like grass and had a block of wood and put the pandas food on it.  Finally we got two big pieces of brown sugar paper and put it on the outside.
(Hollie)

I did a Snow leopard enclosure.They have a hut to sleep in with a roof that is great for protecting them from bad weather.  They also have a river to wash themselves in and for catching fish and to drink from.  They have rocks and stones to play on.
(Jasmine)

This is my Meerkat enclosure! It has got a room at the back for them to sleep in! It has two ponds and some trees and rocks to climb on!
(Jennifer)

My enclosure was for a tree python.  I had threein side houses.  I had two trees to hang on and I had rocks for it to bathe on.  To join the houses I had colour tubes.  There were more than one snake and they were all over the place plus the snakes were all green.  There was a heat lamp in one room so if it got cold it had somewhere to go.
(Josh)

Here’s my picture of a snow leopard enclosure.
(Katie K)

My enclosure is for a black and white ruffed lemur!  I have included lots of plants and flowers to make it seem more like the wild. It needs to be like the wild because they will not breed in captivity! It has a bed box in the corner to hide in.  Also, it has a pool to play in.
(Lydia) 

It is a snow leopard home.  It has no snow but they do not need snow to survive.
(Brandon)

My enclosure is for a meerkat.  It has food, water and a shelter.  It has a big play area and a bed.
(Mia)

This enclosure is for a Goeldi’s monkey.  It has food and water in its enclosure.  This amazing animal eats fruit, water, grass, insects, bananas and it even eats wood surprisingly.  The animal likes to have its shelter to itself because it likes all the comfort inside.   Of course the animal is quite small but it likes to have all its room to itself.  Its personality is: very worried and very scared from animals and its surroundings.  It likes to have some trees to make it feel like it’s still in the wild so they have to make them toys to play with so that if the animal gets bored then it has something to do.  If the animal is a male then you’ll have to have a small enclosure but if it’s a female then it needs a big enclosure because it needs to breed.  Now I have chosen to make a small enclosure for a male because males are more playful than females, because males have bigger fingers and bigger legs to make them jump from tree to tree and to make them run fast.
(Morgan)

My animal enclosure is suitable for an ostrich because it has lots of room.  It’s got water so it can drink. It’s got a shelter so it can’t get wet, and it has lots of grass.
(Prajin)

This animal shelter is for a Ring Tailed Lemur. This shelter is suited to the animal because it has lots of climbing areas. This animal likes grass and places to hide in and this shelter has got all of that. It also likes getting into mischief and this shelter’s got that too!
(Rose)

My enclosure is for tamarin monkeys .  They like to climb.
(Sam C)

This enclosure is for meerkats.  Meerkats live in South Africa. They eat bugs and birds. The water is for bathing in and for drinking. The house is for sleeping in and shade when it is hot and for keeping the meerkats dry when it is raining.
(Skye)

My design is for a lemur because it has little holes on it and a tree.
(Zak)

Google SketchUp is a free programme which you can download here.  Why not see what you can create?

10 Comments »

1. Year 5 – you can and should be extremely proud of yourselves. The work I see in front of me would not look out of place on the walls of any secondary School or Further Education College. Great work and when I need my next house designed and built I will be coming to you guys first 🙂 Neil Emery – Apple Education Mentor

Neil Emery — March 26, 2012 @ 4:13 pm

2. Year 5, The work you have done is great! It all looks very professional. I bet many hours went into these designs. How long have you been working with SketchUp? Our 8th grade classes have just finished their SketchUp projects. If you would like to see them you can do so here:http://abcict.wikispaces.com/SketchUp+Gallery+2011-2012

Again, congratulations on your inspiring designs for animal shelters. They are very impressive!
    🙂

Jennifer Garcia — March 26, 2012 @ 4:33 pm

3. These are amazing year 5! You have really thought about what your animals need for their enclosures.

And your skill using Google Sketchup is amazing.

I think our Year 5s would love to have a go with this wonderful tool.

Well done your should be very proud of your work. It is breathtakingly good.

Mrs Travers — March 26, 2012 @ 4:39 pm

4. Well done Year 5 – you have thought carefully about what the animals would need to keep them happy in their enclosure and you have shown that you all have brilliant ICT skills!

Mrs Brown — March 26, 2012 @ 5:10 pm

5. I cannot believe how good these are – I can’t wait to teach some of you when you reach Swanmore (although some of you may have to show some of our year 11s how you did all this!)

I really like how you have created some shapes yourself and combined these with some imported objects like the trees. Very clever!

Mr Gibson — March 26, 2012 @ 11:12 pm

6. They look wonderful, what an exciting project

Mrs Jane Taylor — March 30, 2012 @ 7:03 pm

7. I am so impressed with these enclosures. You have been very thoughtful in your designs to the needs of the animals. I cannot wait to download this programme and show it to my class of Year 5’s.
    Give yourselves a pat on the back for being so, so clever!

Ciara Fagan — March 30, 2012 @ 10:32 pm

8. We have only got started using Google SketchUp here in Ireland in schools. Your work is very impressive. Great use of the sketchup tools. Keep up the great work. Liam (Co mayo, Ireland)

Liam Fallon — March 31, 2012 @ 10:07 am

9. The final designs for your animal enclosures are very proffessional indeed. You should be very proud of yourselves – I know your teachers are!

So nice to see a range of comments from professionals not associated with the school.

Mr Harris (Chair of Governors) is trying to get one of his colleagues to come into school to show you a programme he uses for design – CAD (Computer Aided Design.)

Mr Campbell — March 31, 2012 @ 2:33 pm

10. Hello
    We are from Lingwood Primary School. Our names are Emily & Care. We really enjoyed looking at your designs. When I grow up I want to be an architect so those designs gave me some ideas. We are really looking foward to start blogging with you.

Emily & Care — May 11, 2012 @ 12:11 pm

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI